Sunday, November 15, 2015

Tea Time: Body Image


I think the world has taken a turn for the worse.  Today, I should want a booty like J Lo, lips like Angelina Jolie, breasts like Kim Kardashian, a nose like Halle Berry, hair like Jennifer Aniston, and so on and so on.  Can't I just look like...me?

Society has definitely taken a different angle on beauty.  Beauty is no longer emphasizing what the good Lord gave you...but it's getting what you want and how large you want it.  Where do I begin with how fake our bodies have become.  Young women and men are getting cosmetic procedures at younger and younger ages.  According to American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) statistics, 63,623 cosmetic surgical procedures were performed on people age 13-19 in 2013, while 155,941 cosmetic minimally-invasive procedures were performed.  The justification is that these procedures prevent teens from withdrawing socially in their teens and suffering compounding consequences in their early adulthood.  It is said that teens get surgery to fit in, and adults get surgery to stand out.  So, is it ok to tell your child that if they do not like something physically to change it?

Why not embrace it?  Many young surgeries are targeted at nose and breast corrections.  We are all fearfully and wonderfully made.  I know growing up that we all just want to fit in and look like everyone else, but we have to learn to embrace uniqueness.

I, personally, struggled with being the lanky, acne prone child, teenager, and adult.  I am apart of what you would call the "itty bitty titty committee".  I also wanted to change my hair type, skin color, eye color, nose, lips, and just about everything else.  I was not the definition of beauty (especially not for an African American woman).  And, I used to think that one day I will grow out of it or pay to change it.   As a teenager, I hated my body wondering why was I the only one in the family like this.  I was often teased and still currently teased about my size for my age.  I still possess that teen, boyish body that the good Lord gave me.

But, at some point during my early adulthood, I realized that I am perfectly fine just the way I am.  My parents told me this repeatedly growing up, but it wasn't until one day a few years ago that I became ok with being me.  Now, I still have my insecurities and flaws that I dislike.  (I still get asked if I'm in high school!)  But, I have learned to live with them because that makes me who I am.  The concept is not to make myself look like a beautiful woman; it is to be a beautiful woman and let everyone else jump on board.  I learned that I would have to accept myself and others just as they are.

We have missed that mark with the concept that beauty is on the inside.  A "beautiful" exterior with a horrid personality is still ugly in my opinion.  Your exterior is just like clothing and can change often...why focus on the exterior when it could vanish tomorrow.  Your character and personality will always be there. I was so afraid for people to know about my vlogging and blogging because they would judge me based on my appearance.  But, I learned that sometimes the flaws that someone picks out are the insecurities that they have for themselves.

Do not let anyone deter you from being you.  Be unapologetically you.  Stay FABULOUS!

No comments:

Post a Comment