Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Nars Velvet Matte Skin Tint Review


Nars has just released a new skin tint to continue on the bandwagon of BB creams, CC creams, tinted moisturizers and so on.  But, there is a little different that the others that I just mentioned.  It's geared toward the oily crew.  Check out Nars's claim to fame:

This oil-free formula wears comfortably, maintaining skin’s natural moisture barrier while working to control shine throughout the day. Transparent Blurring Powders help to blur imperfections, even the look of skintone, and smooth the appearance of pores and fine lines. The powders’ unique, spherical shape compresses like a cushion, delivering a velvety-smooth, touchable feel and superior comfort on application. Vitamins C, E, and broad spectrum SPF 30 protect against free-radical damage caused by environmental stress. Simply touch and go for an effortlessly perfected look.

My description on this product...what she said!  I originally scolded Nars for their color selection in this line, and  I almost want to put my foot in my mouth...but not yet.  This skin tint is like a light to medium foundation.  The skin tint sets matte and gives a smooth, even skin appearance.  I prefer the application with a brush. I'm using Sephora Pro Flawless Foundation Brush #56. Now, I previously enjoyed the Nars Radiant Tinted Moisturizer.  It was one of the few tinted moisturizers that didn't get super oily in a short amount of time for me.  This new matte skin tint definitely does it for me.

Now back to the color.  Nars released 12 shades for this line.  I chose the second to darkest skin tint in Martinique Med/Dark 3.  I wore the two darkest shades on my hands for an hour to see how the color set.  They both oxidized becoming slightly darker than what's in the tube.  The three darker shades have a strong orange undertone.  This is why I am disappointed with Nars.  I think that with their history in making some great women of color shades, they could have done better than that.  Martinique is still the best shade for me.  I corrected this problem with a lighter powder.  I have been using Kat Von D Lock It Foundation Powder in Deep 74 with this product and my face lasts for hours!

I can wear this combination 12 hours with no problem.  I will blot maybe three times in that 12 hour period.  Now, this may be a little too drying for dry, combination skin types.  One other con is that I noticed that do have product breakdown or wear around my mouth.  The product seemed to separate and my skin underneath began to peak through.  I tend to notice it after lunch.  My assumption is the oils from food and the constant wiping of my mouth started completing removing the product.  I never had this problem with a foundation, but this is a skin tint not a foundation.  The next time after that, I brought my powder with me to touch up around my mouth after eating.

The price for 1.7 oz of product is 44.00 USD which is steep.  Nars products are pricey in general, but this is a lot for a skin tint.  The Nars All Day Luminous Foundation retails for 45.00 USD, and you get 0.02 oz more in the Nars Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer 1.9 oz for 44.00 USD.  I can say that a little goes a long way, and this product will last you a while.  The price still hurts a little.

Overall, this is a good product.  It does exactly what it claims.  It will be great for the coming steamy month of summer.  Oily beauties looking for a tinted moisturizer for this summer?  Check it out.  Stay FABULOUS!

11 hours and one mid-day blot later...

No comments:

Post a Comment