Thursday, April 28, 2016

My Hair Regimen (Newly Natural)

Current Protective Style:  Crochet Havana Twists
So, this is the long awaited natural hair regimen post.  I big chopped at the beginning of February this year, and I needed some time to try out products.  I think I have gotten a routine that works well.  I am still searching for few more holy grail items.  You have actually seen some of the products that I will discuss in this posting in previous reviews.  So, let's get into what I do...which isn't much...


Washing/Cleansing:


I co-wash my hair about 2-3 times a week depending on whether I workout or not do anything at all.  I am currently using As I Am Coconut Co-Wash Conditioner to rinse my hair for each wash.  1-2 times per week I will use Shea Moisture's Jamaican Black Castor Oil and Vinegar Cleansing Shampoo to aid in removing product build up.  Since I have an extremely dry scalp, I will still wash with Head and Shoulders every now and then.


Conditioning/Deep Conditioning:
Right now, I am only using one conditioner which is actually a deep conditioner, Shea Mositure Superfruit Complex 10 in 1 Renewal System.  I love this because it keeps my hair super moisturized without a residue.  I complete my washing, conditioning, and detangling in the shower due to time constraints.  Once my life is more settled, I plan on doing true deep conditioning treatments again.  I am hoping to sneak in an Argan oil deep treatment tonight!

Update:  I have also started using the Shea Moisture Manuka Honey and Marfura Oil Intensive Hydration Conditioner, and it works really well with replacing moisture back into my hair.


Leave Ins:
Once I exit the shower and towel dry my hair, I will spray my hair with a coconut oil and water mixture.  I'll add my current favorite leave-in conditioner, Curls Crème Brule.  I still love my Cantu Shea Butter Leave In Conditioner, but it does not play well with other products.  It often leaves a white residue on my hair.  It works best as a stand alone moisturizer on a day where I may be working out only or spending a lot of time outside and plan on washing my hair again soon.


Oils:
I typically apply shea oil after applying my leave in conditioner.  I use coconut, Jamaican black caster, and/or jojoba oil for my scalp.  I am always adding and trying new oils, so this is always subject to change.


Gels:
I keep the gel to a minimum and only apply about a quarter size amount to my entire head.  Maybe more when my hair gets longer, but I hate crunchy, stiff hair.  My current favs are Ecostyler Gel and Curls Blueberry Bliss Curl Control Jelly.  I have tried a few others but they can't beat these two.


Styling:
These days wash and go's are my best friend.  I am not an awesome braider or flat twister so TWA it is!  By the time this post goes up, I should have my first protective style with my natural hair.


So, let me tell you what I need help with!  Dry scalp...I feel like I have tried every product and natural remedy but nothing works.  Please let me know your suggestions for dry scalp or any other products.  Stay FABULOUS!

  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment