Sunday, March 13, 2016

Tea Time: WOC Shades Missing in High End Brands!


I feel like I have had this conversation before...and I have.  I was looking on Sephora checking out  the newest makeup releases.  There are a couple of newer foundations in the last 5 to 6 months.  But, there was one common factor with a large number of those foundations...there are little to no women of color shades.  Some of the new foundations out are Too Faced Born This Way Foundation, Nars Velvet Matte Skin Tint, Tarte Rainforest of the Sea Water Foundation, Dr Jart+ BB Dis-A-Pore Beauty Balm, Sheseido Synchro Skin Lasting Liquid Foundation, Givenchy Photo Perfection Fluid Foundation, and Kevin Aucoin The Sensual Skin Foundation.  So, that's 7 new foundations with one or no women of color shades.  I might add that Nars normally has a very wide selection of women of color shades, but this new line does not represent women of color.  I have tried the new tinted moisturizer, and I feel as though the one dark color is very orange...kind of like that typical one standard dark shade in a makeup line.  I personally had higher expectations from Nars.

Now, there are a few new releases that included a few women of color shades (3 or more).  Some new releases are Estee Lauder Estee Edit Skin Glowing Balm, Becca Aqua Luminous Perfection Foundation, Dior Skin Forever Perfect Foundation, Stila Aqua Glow Serum Foundation, YSL Touche Eclat Le Teint Radiance Awakening Foundation, Laura Mercier Candleglow Soft Luminous Foundation.  So, that's 6 new foundations that have a few women of color shades. 

So, for anyone that is not a woman of color, that's 13 new foundations to choose from.  I do not understand why in this day and time we are still being left out in the development stage.  I wonder what goes on during the meetings where the end result is no women of color shades...or there is one standard dark, orange brown shade for all women of color!?!  We have come a long way...more shades and brand options in drugstore and high-end.  But, I guess it's just hard for me to grasp why I cannot select a shade from all 13 foundations above.

Working in a makeup store has really helped point out the discrimination in makeup.  A woman of color comes in and wants a blush or bronzer.  I have to narrow her down to three to four brands in Sephora when we all know the store carries a large variety of those items...just not for women of color.  I am in a smaller store inside a JC Penney so the selection is even slimmer.  A darker woman of color wants a foundation, we are down to four brands.  I know them off the top of my head.  It hurts when they mention a brand that someone has recommended, and I have to tell them that they are too dark and let me show you something else.  Deep skin is not rare in the United States but customers feel as though it is.  Another thing that angers me that maybe half of the foundations above with darker shades are not available in store but online only...so how am I supposed to try out the foundation?!  I'm going to try to start reaching out to makeup companies and letting them know how I feel.  Let's all take a stand and maybe we will get somewhere!  Stay FABULOUS...with or without the makeup!

No comments:

Post a Comment